Monday, April 11, 2005

Presenting Scrap-Bot 2005



Here are several views of my scrap-bot. He is the product of what little free time I have had over the last couple weeks (OK, so I had this past weekend off but it was way too nice outside for building robots). I think he came out all right. I created him mostly out of Nurbs and tried to compensate for a lack of modeling detail through excessive use of texture mapping. He may look wimpy but don't let his office chair legs fool you. This guy is ready to kick some Ass, well he's almost ready. I am going to suggest that we take an additional week to set up the rigging of our characters. I know you don't have a ton of animation experience Pat but I figured if we set up simple rigs of our own characters it will make animating a little easier. Doesn't need to be complicated at all and I suspect it will be a learning experience for both of us.

3 Comments:

Blogger Patrick said...

Jay that robot is the shizznit. Love the wheels, and the rustyness My robot is trembling, fearing an outbreak of rust-induced tetunus.

Can you recommend a good tutorial for rigging? If not, I'll search through the links over on the right and find something good.

My robot should be ready to present on the site (in un-rigged form) hopefully tomorrow. Just a few last minute tweaks.

2:43 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

I just emailed my old prof. and asked if he could send me the class notes on rigging. If I get them I will forward them to you. Most tutorials on rigging are designed for human based characters. Humans are a lot tougher to rig then robots because they deform as their joints bend. My robot will need a human rig for it's arms because the tubes need to deform as his arms bend. different characters require different rigs. I will give you some suggestions on rigging after I check out your bot. You may be able to get away with just using constraints and parenting.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

I think constraints and parenting is the way to go. You should use those telephone cord leashes that you put on the kid's wrist so that they'll do what you want. Oh... you're talking about like Maya stuff? Oh. I was talking about parenting with contstraints... sorry.

4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home